“Hurrah for General Guinness of the Dublin Booziliers!”
It’s time to pay tribute to one of Ireland’s greatest entrepreneurs with a song called ‘General Guinness’. In 1759, Arthur Guinness signed a 9,000-year lease on a disused brewery at St James’s Gate, Dublin for an annual rent of £45. The brewery covers four acres and consists of a mill, two malthouses, stable for twelve horses and a loft to hold 200 tons of hay. James’s Street, was the western entrance to the city during the Middle Ages. During this time the gate was the traditional starting point for the Camino pilgrimage from Dublin to Santiago de Compostela in Spain and still is at the church.