The Four Courts
The Four Courts was built between 1796 and 1802 by the architect James Gandon, who also designed the Custom House. The Four Courts and surrounding areas were held by Commandant Edward Daly’s 1st Battalion during the Easter Rising in 1916. Some of the most intense fighting of Easter Week took place in the Church Street, North King Street and North Brunswick Street area. At the end of the week the Four Courts building itself became the headquarters of the 1st Battalion. Listen to Ciaran sing the Dubliners ‘Off to Dublin in the Green’.